Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Extra!

Extra! The Magazine of FAIR--The Media Watch Group, is the size of a newsletter. This magazine clerk wonders if the Media is becoming so exceptional that there is nothing to monitor and report or if this little mag is succombing to that ill economic wind.

Although I cannot for the life of me remember where I read it (my sincerest apologies), I recall an article about the mass layoffs of reporters and writers that have occurred in the past dozen years. One reporter noted darkly that the traditional media outlets (newspapers in particular) did not favor themselves letting loose experienced, savvy journalists "they should have cut our heads off..."

The Internet has given us access to nearly infinite sources of information, but we, the consumers of information, still need and should DEMAND ethics in reporting and dissemination of information. We need a Walter Cronkite of the Internet and I don't mean Wikipedia or digg-like masses monitored sites. A trusted source monitored by professionals with links for further exploration of information (biased and "unbiased").

Am also listening to the Emerging Mediascape as I am working, so I suppose that's where this rant stems from, too.

2 comments:

  1. Hows u my fair lady? :) I missed u so much! tnxx for the lovely sentiments in my last post. X

    Hope all is well with ya. Yes I've moved on to a peaceful phase of my life...one that does not tie me to anything, well most of the time that is :) I hope ur life is much more happier and peaceful than it was when we last spoke. Love n miss ya tonnz. TC of ur sweet self til we meet again...

    Much love
    keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keshi, my sweet! So glad you updated me about your life, big goals of blogging regularly get waylaid by life constraints, so I am just now 3/16 seeing that you visited 2/18. Sincerest apologies. I am tied now to my lovely little lady and I couldn't be happier or more peaceful. I hope you visit from time to time! Miss you so much, too!

    xoxo,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete