Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bon appetit

I love food writing. I cannot say that enough. I read a book once called The Tomato in America: early history, cookery, and culture and I still talk about the randomness that I learned. Even more than food writing, I love eating and drinking (not to the excess that I once did in another life, far, far away) and talking about food. So of course, I was devastated when Conde Nast discontinued Gourmet magazine. And then, when Bon Appetit's first cover after the loss of Gourmet featured a skillet with a Taste of Home-esque meal, I was disappointed they did not step up to Gourmet's standards. However, this month's cover (a gorgeous chili-glazed Salmon with sugar snap peas and greens) is an improvement over the prior issue's homely skillet.

The gourmet-loving public does not need any more magazines with home-style suggestions. We've rediscovered a love of taste, of real food grown with real labor and prepared by real hands. We need region-specific articles, ads from local suppliers, and a way to communicate the difficulties and rewards of a locavore lifestyle. And now I'll conclude this post while I fantasize about establishing my own publication...

5 comments:

  1. Oh you are back my historian fellow blogger...how's motherhood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two points.

    One, is hard when local farmer markets also carry stuff from say Honduras. Isnt exactly local.

    Second. I read where your reading list said Foxfire Books. When i was in college in Marietta Ohio back late 60's - early 70's, the Foxfire mag started up and I read the compilations put into paperback often. Instead of doing what i was supposed to do, i read those. I had life get in my way after that and now I see that they put out more books. i will now some 50 years later check them out.

    Yeah, old as dirt.

    BBL

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg my Helen is back! :) hey girl hows life? hows everything with ya? I got ur comment..TY!

    Just here for a lil while...saying HI n all :) Missed ya all. Keep the light going hun.

    MWAH!
    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is your publication, right here, this blog. Write away, sweetie, and let your creativity flow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen r u on Fb? Please email me at kajole@hotmail.com. tnx love! I saw ur daughter and I thought I saw an angel! I miss ya. X

    ReplyDelete